What if Christ was like that?


As believers in Christ we are the first impression as to whom he is that a non-believer gets.  As Christians we are given a chance to show Christ to those around us in our words and in our actions.  It is sad the image that believers often portray to the world.   I have heard, "Those Christians are......rude, hypocritical, judgmental" and so on.  

(WARNING: If you read on you will see that this mid-life domestic goddess is a bit fired up and to really share this story I will need to use some harsh wording as I quote someone)

My heart is sickened still today, as the words I heard yesterday ring in my ears.  I was waiting for my daughter while she was seeing the doctor.  A mom and her daughter who looked to be about my age were sitting across from me.  I was trying as hard as I could to not listen to their conversation but short of putting in earplugs I could not avoid it.  They were arguing and the mother spoke something that sickened my heart.  She told her daughter that she needed to tell the person they were talking about, "I will pray for you, if you will pray for me".  What came out of the mother's mouth next shocked and saddened me.  She said, "If she won't pray for you than tell her to F&@% it!”  Really?  It is no wonder believers have such a bad image.  

Can you imagine if Christ said, "I will die for your sins so you can be free from all condemnation and have eternal life in heaven? However if you don't understand it and take it to heart the first time you hear of this than F&@% it!"  Or, what if Christ said, "I'll die for you but you must first die for me?" My husband raised a great point and a very sad one at that.  He said, "where did Christianity go wrong for her to feel that praying is a two way obligation?" I was so stunned at what I heard and, I had no idea what to say.  They were already arguing so I just sat there.  It was so uncomfortable.  

I thankfully was the only one with in earshot of that statement.  As believers we really need to think before we speak.  We have no idea who may be listening and it may be our one time to show the love of Christ.  I know that what I saw yesterday is not a Christ honoring way and certainly not a good picture of how the body is to function.  For the mother's sake I am glad that Christ is not a "first chance only" savior.  As I type this I am convicted to pray for her and thank God for his grace.  My prayer for her is much better than any judgement I could give my sister in Christ.  I am only posting this to show how careful we must be.  All who believe are reflections of Christ. 

As you go about your day-to-day routine.  Remember you are a reflection of Christ.  What is that reflection showing?  I hope it is showing; Love, forgiveness, grace, gentleness and so on.  

Have a blessed day :)


Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples. John 13:35

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8





No comments: