who's hungry?


This is something I wrote a few weeks and ago.  You may have already seen it on our church's Facebook page. If you haven't seen it, I hope you enjoy it.

Who’s hungry?

During worship yesterday I had the word hungry going around in my head. I picked up my bible and began to look up the word hungry thinking God had something for me. I was unclear what he was telling me so I asked him to show me, I knew I was hungry for his word and the light bulb went on. He wanted me to get into his word to really be HUNGRY in a new way.

I sat in church listening to the wonderful word our Pastor was giving.  I kept hearing the word hungry. What was I going to do with that? God had not shown me to a certain scripture to share but he was putting it on my heart for a reason. It soon became clear that he simply wanted me in his word. He wasn’t trying to speak to me something new; He was just trying to speak to me and to satisfy my hunger.

Today I looked up the work HUNGRY (yes I cheated and went on line). There are 46 times in the bible the word hungry is used) I read each of them, some really spoke to me and some didn’t but the fact of the matter was I was in his word and I was searching.

What spoke to me was the verses that talked about him satisfying the hunger in our souls. Like the women at the well who was thirsty. She received the living water of Jesus and she was never thirsty again.

Deuteronomy 8:3 tells us, He humbled you and let you be hungry and fed you with Manna which you did not know, nor did your fathers know, that he might make you understand That man Does not live on bread alone, but that man lives on EVERYTHING THAT PROCEEDS OUT OF THE MOUTH OF GOD.

Psalms 107:9, HE HAS SATISFIED THE THIRSTY SOUL AND THE HUNGRY SOUL HE HAS FILLED WITH GOOD.

As I continued to read all the 46 verses, Isaiah 44:12 spoke to me and because it is the living and breathing word it may speak to each of us differently. It said, man shapes iron into a cutting tool and does his work over the coals, fashioning it with hammers and working it with his strong arm. He also gets hungry and his strength fails; he drinks no water and becomes weary.

After reading this, I wrote in my journal, “Lord this Speaks to me. My understanding may be off from what you mean but it is your living and breathing word. It is showing me that to do the work you have put before me as a wife, mother (to my two kids and the many others you have put in my path to love), and to take the new path you are heading me down in our church I must be refueling with your word daily or I to will become weary. “

We will all become weary if we don’t refuel. I pray that each of us will take some time with the Lord each day. We fill our cars up with gas; we fill our stomachs with food, our days with entertainment, work, friends and family but what about our souls? 

Are you filling your soul? 

Are you HUNGRY?




1 comment:

funnycometchick said...

Kimmy this is so beautiful! thank you so much for posting this, i needed it :-)