Are you working with a Trainer?



I like watching the "Biggest Loser" and the determination in the contestants really speaks to me. They are pushed so hard in their training and in one night’s episode they were bungee jumping and throwing themselves off cliffs. Talk about taking a leap of faith!

The trainer’s push, they encourage, and they support the contestants. I have worked with a trainer before; sometimes the trainer made me mad when they pushed and pushed me to reach new goals. There were times when I thought I was not going to make it and my trainer would get in my face and say keep it up, you can do it, don't stop, keep going.


I see God as my trainer; He is the trainer of my heart, my soul and my life. I don't meet Him in the gym and there are no outrageous fees. With God my workout consists of time in the word, time in prayer, and time in fellowship with my church. I am running the race of life and there are times when I don't feel like I can go on anymore. Sometimes the race of life is overwhelming and when it gets there God's word begins to scream into my life in the most encouraging way. Romans 5:3-5 has spoken to me many times in my life since I have allowed God to become my trainer. It says, "Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that sufferings produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out His love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom He has given us.”  

God's word and His love give us the strength to persevere when we want to give up. Sometimes I am mad at how He is pushing me because it hurts. Sometimes when He pulls me out of a nice and comfy place I act like a spoiled child. Many times, I have gotten mad when things don't go how I wanted them to go and I have fought against God. When I do that He gently guides me where I need to be. He is big enough to handle my anger and He picks me up when I fall down. He is with me in all my highs and lows and He is my biggest fan.

There have been times when I have had to take a leap of faith—no, God hasn't asked me to bungee jump or cliff jump like the contestants on the Biggest Loser but I have had to trust and take a leap of faith in a new direction that He may be moving me, there have been some difficult times that I have had to jump out in faith and trust. The contestants on the Biggest Loser were tied to all kinds of safety harness when they jumped; I am safe in the hands of God and the promise of his love and forgiveness that was given that day on the cross when his Son gave His life for me. The blood of Christ is my safety harness and I would much rather jump with that as my lifeline than what the contestants had to do on the show.

With God as my trainer, the race of life is much easier to run and the reward at the end of the race is the biggest prize ever!  We are all running that race. The question is; are you doing it on your own or is God your trainer? 


No comments: